8.28.2004

The TA from hell

For those of you not in the university lingo, a TA is a teacher's assistant. These folks are underpaid grad students who do the shit work for professors. Usually, they grade the papers and help the students with problems they have. Until now, I've had the good fortune of never having known any of my TA's socially. That's a good thing. The situation I'm about to explain, is a BAD THING.

So, I'm sitting in class, minding my own damned business when our new TA walks to the front of the room to introduce himself. Casually, I look up, when who do I see... but the TA FROM HELL.
That's right, my TA is this dude I used to hang out with socially. We had mutual friends and whatnot. We went to the beach. He surfed. I sank. He made sexist jokes about women and how we all like to cook. I sneered. He mentioned that he preferred to date "girls" who were "barely legal." I said fuck this, I don't need to spend my time with some misogynistic wanker.

And now, he's my TA.
As I mentioned, he'll be in charge of grading my papers. Now, I honestly can't say that I'm concerned about him being unfair to me. I'm not. For all I know, he may not even remember my name. I only remember him because of the seething hatred I developed for him in an astonishingly short amount of time. But I do have concerns, and they are as follows:
1. I will not go to him for help because I have an abnormally large ego and I don't really want to look at his wanky smirk. This could really hurt my grade.
2. I don't want him grading my papers because of said ego. I don't want him smirking wankily over stupid mistakes I make. And, come on. I WILL make stupid mistakes.
3. If I don't do well in this class, which is always a distinct possibility, I don't want him thinking he's right about his fucked up views on women. But, I really resent the fact that I'm wanting to work harder just to prove to some wanky-ass wanker that I have a right to be there.

Did I mention that he's a wanker? Well HE IS.

So what do I do? I could drop the class, but there's no guarantee that he won't TA it next semester too. Or the next semester. Grad students never actually graduate, you know. They just kind of wander the halls of universities, mumbling about archaic research projects, until someone physically shoves them into the real world.

So what do I do? I blog about it. And I release my bitterness onto you poor saps because I honestly don't want it for myself. Too bad I can't release my homework onto you suckers, too. Anyone know C++?

No comments: