8.28.2004

Today Ruled- and why I love effed up friends

Okay, so yesterday sucked royally. Between the TA situation and a few other dumb things that I managed to screw up all by myself (it is my forte), it was really not a great day for yours truly.

But today made up for everything. My good buddy, who we'll call Jon Thomas (because that actually is his name) was in town. Now, I haven't gotten to see ol' Jon for quite a while. He's had the misfortune of being tied down to a court ordered intensive rehab program. Oh, jon. But today, was just like old times. We started out with the usual conversation, about how he couldn't get arrested anymore because they won't be so lenient with him next time. Then it took a turn for the surreal:
Jon: So, since I don't actually live in Orlando, I think I could probably get away with grabbing a few ipod's from the Office Depot and running out.
Me: Uh, dude. Didn't you just say you couldn't get arrested again?
Jon: But, if it's not for drugs, you think it still counts?
Me: proooobably...
Jon: well, maybe I could just tear up and say that I steal to support my addiction... my addiction to free shit!
Me: We're not going NEAR an office depot today.

So, a few moments later, where do we end up but Office Depot? I was assured it was okay, though, as this particular location did not dabble in the ipod buiz (apparently, it had already been scoped). Our good friend Brian works at the copy center there, so we stopped in to talk with him.
As we walk up to the counter, Jon actually says (and I swear I am NOT joking)"Copy This!" immediately before dropping trou.

The customer standing next to us started cracking up and looking around suspiciously for the hidden camera, convinced that he was on some reality show. Sorry- no reality show buddy. Welcome to my life.

We made a, well, rather hasty exit after that.

From there, we went out to have a peek in Brian's car. Apparently, Jon had left his little-black-book of sorts somewhere and was desperate to find it. There's a good chance that it was left at a pay phone, unfortunately.

What's in it that's so important you ask? Apparently, the numbers for all his dealers. Now, like me, you probably would have said that maybe, just MAYBE, it was a good thing that he lost it.
"Yeah, well, I just don't want some fucking cop to bank off that shit." was his startlingly honest reply.
Touche, Jon. Touche.

You know, they say that you can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep. That's such a worthless load of crap. If you took a random sampling of my friends, you'd know that I was either a smarmy goody-goody, or a crack addict with an arrest list longer than a roll of toilet paper. Clearly, there's a large standard deviation involved here. What do my friends say about me? I don't know. But as long as they don't say "Drive faster and I'll give you a free ipod if we're not caught!" I really don't care.

No comments: