8.06.2004

The tift of the iceberg

When you think about great tourist destinations, what comes to mind?
Las Vegas, Rome, Orlando, London, or perhaps Paris?

God, you're stupid.

On my way through Georgia to visit my inlaws I learned, via 10 million billboards, about a little place called Tifton . It's like the crappy little town that could. It would have been heartwarming, if it wasn't so lame. They had signs all over I-75 proclaiming loud and proud that THIS town was a place you wanted to stop. THIS town wasn't your average small southern town. THIS town was:

READING CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!

That's right. But it's not JUST the reading capitol of the world! No! There's more fun where that came from! It is also, according to many proud billboards, "A HIGH SPEED INTERNET CITY!"

Shit! I mean, Shit! Everyone put on your party hats! Some yokels discovered AOL broadband!

But it's not just ANY high speed internet city, it's one of Georgia's TOP-TEN cities for broadband. Any town that can beat the fat cat city boyz from Tallapoosa, Georgia clearly deserves our respect.

I thought about stopping to visit, but I think I'll wait a few years. You better know that once WiFi hits, the place will REALLY start hopping.

No comments: