9.24.2004

Everyone jump off the peace plane

If the man who wrote "Morning has Broken" and "Peace Train" isn't safe from accusations of terrorism, then no one is.

That's right. Cat Stevens (now Yusuf Islam) was refused entrance into the US and sent back to London, that hotbed of terrorism that he suspiciously resides in. As far as I can tell, his only crime is being a dirty-ass hippie with a beard that hasn't seen so much as a Supercuts in decades.

Just for a fun trip down memory lane, lets peruse a few classic Cat Steven's lyrics to see exactly how threatening this bearded devil is to our wholesome country:

From Father and Son: (one of my personal favorites)
"I was once like you are now, and I know that it's not easy,
To be calm when you've found something going on.
But take your time, think a lot,
Why, think of everything you've got.
For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not."

Clearly, he's a reactionary capable of flying off the handle any moment.

From If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out:
"You can do what you want
The opportunity's on
And if you can find a new way
You can do it today
You can make it all true
And you can make it undo"

I think this definitely shows his pessimism about the world and his unwillingness to accept the life styles of others. The evidence mounts.

"Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning
Born of the one light, eden saw play
Praise with elation, praise every morning
God's recreation of the new day"

I think the evidence of terrorism is obvious here. I mean, Presbyterians use this song in their hymnals for fuck's sake. PRESBYTERIANS! If ever there was a bastion of 'merica-hating liberalism, it is the presbyterian church.

"Now I've been crying lately, thinking about the world as it is
Why must we go on hating, why can't we live in bliss
Cause out on the edge of darkness, there rides a peace train
Oh peace train take this country, come take me home again"

Yeah, okay. I've got nothing on this one. Must have been cleverly disguised sarcasm. Has anyone tried playing it backwards? I'll bet there's AT LEAST one "eat the flesh of babies" in there.

No comments: