9.05.2004

The soundtrack of the Storm

When two hurricanes hit in a row, it's okay to get a little loopy. That's what I'm telling myself anyway. Power outages can be a major drag and it's hard to entertain yourself. Since I don't know how to knit or whittle or do anything else so that I could feign usefulness, I sing.

Yup, that's right. I sing to myself. Aren't you glad you aren't here?

So, over the past few weeks, first with Charley and now with Frances, I've been creating what I like to think of as a Soundtrack of the Storm. These are the songs that, I feel, are essential to anyone riding out a hurricane or two (hopefully not three- Ivan, I'm looking at you, here.)

There are several different phases of the hurricane, obviously, so these must be used only during the timeframes specified to create the ideal ambiance.

When you're sitting around waiting for the shit to fly: I highly recommend busting out a little "Waiting for tonight" by J. Lo.

When the storm's raging overhead, my favorites include "Highway to the danger zone" and "Eye of the Tiger."

After the power goes out, and you're all alone and getting bored, "All by myself" and "One is the lonliest number" really set a nice, pathetic mood.

When you're too stir-crazy to sit inside any longer, and you decide to drive around despite the mandatory curfew that's in effect, with your eyes frantically darting to check for the police, a good one to belt is the Walker, Texas Ranger theme song: "The eyes of the ranger are upon you..."

And, just as a general rule of thumb, I find that the song "War" by Edwin Starr is good for just about any occasion (save, perhaps, the republican national convention.) Not because it involves hurricanes, but because it's really fun to sing the "huuuh" part. Who doesn't love that part?!?!

No comments: