7.24.2004

Pissy comments while I study

Note to textbook authors:
When discussing the fundamental equation of Prandtl's lifting-line theory, don't start off with the phrase "It simply states..."
Believe me. It doesn't simply state a damned thing. Really. I promise.

(for anyone who's curious, what's apparently simply stated is that the 'geometric angle of attack is equal to the sum of the effective angle plus the induced angle.' This is "simply" stated by using 8+ variables and an integral here and there.)

Next on the list of 'phrases not to use' would definitely have to be the infamous "you may be asking yourself..."
In this particular case, I may be asking myself "what are the aerodynamic properties of a finite wing with an elliptical lift distribution?"

Good lord, textbook dude! You couldn't be more wrong. It's a fucking good thing this isn't a game show or you'd be SOL. The correct answer, for $5,000, is that I'm asking myself if I really neeeeeeed a degree.

Lastly, textbook people, don't use the word "interesting" if you don't mean it. An excellent example of this would be the following statement:
"The above equation states the interesting result that the downwash is constant over the span for an elliptical lift distribution."
Really, it's false advertising of the rest of the sentence. It's like I'm being tricked into reading the rest. And I DON'T like to be tricked, Mr. Textbook Man.

No comments: